There’s no way around it. To achieve your target plant population, your air cart and opener system must be set up to deliver the seed to the ground consistently and with precision. Crop establishment is critical for maximizing yield potential.
“If crop emergence suffers, the crop will struggle to recapture this lost yield potential for the rest of its hundred-day life cycle, and it often falls short,” says Morris’ Corporate Agronomist, Garth Massie.
The goal of any seeding system is to deliver a consistent, uniform flow of seed and fertilizer to each seed row. Proper rate calibration is the first critical step in achieving seeding rate accuracy. “The goal is to get the correct number of seed shaft rotations to meter the proper rate for a given area,” Massie says.
Once a uniform amount of seed is delivered to each seed row, the focus switches to rapid uniform crop establishment to maximize yield. Quantum’s independent opener, with a 1:1 opener to packer ratio, results in superior depth control precision and minimizes seed mortality. “This is the most accurate depth control available,” says Massie. “Accurate seeding depth leads to superior crop emergence uniformity. The impact of openers on yield potential cannot be overestimated.”
Morris Field Research, Canora, SK
In 2011, Morris established two small plot replicated experiments in Canora, SK, to gain a better understanding of the impact of opener style on crop establishment and yield potential of spring wheat and winter wheat. The Morris opener maintained the plant population regardless of fertilizer rate. In contrast, aftermarket opener crop emergence decreased with increasing rates of fertilizer, when measured two weeks after planting. The crop emergence reduction with aftermarket openers in fertilized treatments ranged from 21%-47% in spring wheat and 32%-50% in winter wheat.
“The research showed fertilizer-seed separation to be the leading cause of reduced stands,” notes Massie. “Trash clearance and soil fracturing factor into crop establishment, but they are secondary to fertilizer-seed separation.” In succeeding years, Morris has continued to build its database on safe fertilizer application rates. The results consistently demonstrate that the Morris double-shoot opener system is relatively insensitive to fertilizer applications across a broad range of fertilizer rates.
The Most Accurate Seeding System in the Market
Be confident in your seeding rate with the Morris Quantum air drill and the Morris 9 Series Air Cart’s smooth balanced airflow. Accurate metering, low row-row variance along with in-cab monitoring put our customers in control of uniform crop establishment.
- Spiral fluted metering wheels are designed to continuously drop seed into the air stream. This is particularly important in crops like canola with low seeding rates. The metering wheels are sized according to the number of seed rows that are supplied. This helps to standardize the amount of seed delivered to each seed row.
- Flat fan dividers are designed to minimize seed damage and optimize airflow efficiency with the smooth horizontal product flow. This allows for higher product application rates and lower seed mortality. Learn more about our redesigned flat fan divider heads – and all of the other innovations we packed into the Morris Quantum.
- Meter Bodies have been updated to include quick access door for inspection and calibration. This speeds up the process for regular inspections and when calibrating products. The double-shoot collector bodies are made out of stainless steel to eliminate corrosion from fertilizer dust.
- 17” Diameter High Efficient Fan, powered by an industrial piston-type hydraulic motor with large hydraulic lines decreases flow restriction for less heat build up under higher fan speeds. A dual fan option is available for large width seeding tools and/or high product rates.
- Morris Input Control Technology (ICT) provides seed and fertilizer overlap control. The ICT system uses a unique and simple drive system to engage, or disengage the individual metering wheels to stop the product flow instantly. Matched to drill size, Input Control Technology is capable of controlling up to 10 sections.